Hickman & Lowder Weblog
Friday, 29 August 2014 09:12
Where did the summer go?! August has come and gone in a blink of an eye. Most of my conversations with our clients and visitors have been centered on the fact that Old Man Winter is looming around the corner – a thought that many of us find disconcerting. Didn’t we just put away our boots and shovels? Well, until it’s time to dig them out again, I think we need to enjoy what we have left of the summer. We still have plenty of nice, warm days ahead, so here are my suggestions for making the most of them:
Thursday, 31 July 2014 09:25
Have you or an elder loved one thought about participating in a community meal program? Are you nervous about attending for the first time by yourself? Do you have some doubts about the food quality? I had the opportunity to participate in the hot lunch program at the North Olmsted Senior Center this week and, if you have ever had these concerns, I thought you might benefit from learning about my experience.
Thursday, 31 July 2014 09:03
Pets are a big part of people's lives and are typically considered members of the family. I have had many conversations with both friends and clients about what will happen to the family pet after the owner is no longer able to care for them or passes away. It is a heartbreaking conversation. Who will take care of poor little "Fido?"
As an animal lover, I take this to heart. Our little companions need to be considered, so here are a few suggestions:
Monday, 21 July 2014 08:59
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has issued a bulletin which confirms that Medicaid’s Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic and Treatment services (EPSDT) program covers medically necessary services for children with autism. The announcement clarifies existing law and is in response to the increasing demand for such services.
- Dementia Self-Assessment
- Sonja's Suggestions: Caregiving
- Casey Kasem – What Did He Really Want??
- The Parental Right of an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE)
- International Sexual Predator Met Through Online Game
- Avoiding Foreclosure of a Reverse Mortgage
- Sonja's Suggestions: Dancing
- Movie Review: ALPHÉE OF THE STARS (2012)
- Sonja's Suggestions: Grocery Delivery
- The Perfect Marriage
- Accessing ABA Services Under Health Care Reform
- New Medicaid Program Begins
- Medicare and the Affordable Care Act: Separating Rumor from Reality
- Remedies Available to Persons Disenrolled from the Home Care Waiver
- Universal Design: A Guide to Becoming Master of the Universe!
- New Bullying Prevention Directives from OSERS
- Those Tiger Moms
- Pursuing an Appeal When Public Benefits are Denied
- Digital Assets (Other Than Fingers and Toes)
- The Face of the Future?
- Children with Disabilities Have a Right to FAPE During Teacher Strikes
- Improvement Standard is No More
- Access to Sports for Children with Disabilities
- Recognizing Excellence
- Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits
- My Visit to the Cleveland Sight Center
- If You Shake Pandora’s Box Hard Enough, Hope Might Fly Out, Too, Eventually
- Transferring the Transition Waiver
- Be the Fuel … Or Be the Generator (It Doesn’t Really Matter Which)
- November is National Family Caregivers Month
- My Experience at the Ohio SIBS Conference
- Social Security Field Offices Changing Hours of Operation
- Special Needs Trusts: To Spend or Not to Spend?
- Are You a Person with a Disability?
- How to Keep from Navel-Gazing: The Value of Donating Your Time
- Issues for Unmarried Partners
- How to Create Meaning in Your Life
- "Social Security's Disability Program is Hurting"
- Changes Ahead for "Dual Eligibles"
- Medicaid for Long-Term Nursing Home Care
- Choosing an Assisted Living Facility that is Right for Your Loved One
- A Mother's Day Tribute
- National Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- 'Cookie-Cutter' Estate Plans
- What's Going on at Red Treehouse
- Power of Attorney
- Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
- Sensory-Friendly Films
- Social Security Disability News
- But...Hey! I Wash My Face First!
- The Family Home: Is it in Jeopardy if I Turn to Medicaid for Help?
- Exercise Caution with Joint Accounts
- "Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
- Mediation Services
- Military Separation Papers
- Identifying a Care Provider for Your Loved One
- Too Much Stuff, Too Little Space
- OSEP Expands Enforcement of Special Education Rights
- Medicaid and Assisted Living
- Labor Omnia Vincit. (Virgil – Latin for “Hard Work Conquers All”)
- Ohio Trust Law News
- What is a Certified Elder Law Attorney and Why Does it Matter?
- Is Preparing Your Will Worse Than a Root Canal?
- CMS Approves Individual Option Waiver Amendment
- Gifts Ideas for Elders in Care Facilities
- U.S. Savings Bonds Options Upon Death
- The White House Monthly Disability Call
- The Beauty of Winter
- Making the Most of Your Doctor's Visit
- Federal Education Law Protects Gifted Students with Disabilities
- Health Care Reform and Families with Special Needs
- Monitoring Technology & Elder Care
- The Usual Bus Stop
- Veterans Benefits Factoid #2
- Choosing the Right Care for an Elder
- "Bereavement Exclusion" Exclusion
- Successfully Appealing Medicaid Waiver Service Reductions
- Ohio High Risk Pool
- ADA 20th Anniversary
- Home Health Care Workers
- Direct Deposit for Social Security Checks
- Respectful Disability Language
- Preparing for an Emergency
- Veterans Benefits Factoid #1
- The Doughnut Hole
- Computer Classes for Older Adults
- Summer Reading
- Thank You, Paralegals!
- Happy Mother's Day
- Children's Tylenol Recall
- Foreclosure Assistance
- National Volunteer Week
- Thank You, Administrative Professionals!
- A Vacation Destination for Families with Special Needs
- New Online Medicare Application
- Health Care Reform Legislation
- Voided Puerto Rican Birth Certificates
- A Chance Meeting
Page 1 of 2<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>